Saturday, June 6, 2009

Am I Grasping at Straws? : )

I have been wondering, over the past week or so, whether or not the goose feather mattress topper I bought is causing this slight cough that I have. I bought this goose feather mattress topper on March 30, 2009, because my all natural latex bed is a bit too firm for my back.

I had my CT scan on April 7, 2009. Dr. K called me with the results with on April 14, 2009, in which they found lung nodules on my left lung. I began noticing a slight cough with a slight wheeze two days later, on April 16, 2009.

Lung nodules can be caused by a variety of things, including infections and inflammation.

Maybe, just maybe, I am allergic to that feather mattress topper. Maybe the continued exposure finally resulted in finally getting a cough a couple of weeks later.

Or, perhaps I have slight allergies to mold or mildew, which can be especially bad here in the mid-Willamette Valley during the winter months. Then, the feathers (which were sterilized) in the mattress topper made things worse.

Or, perhaps I'm allergic to dust mites and since it took a couple of weeks for dust mites to grow in the feather mattress topper.

So, respiratory allergies cause inflammation. Perhaps the inflammation caused the lung nodules.

How can I get to the bottom of this?

First, I took the feather mattress topper off the bed today.

Second, I just might take C.'s advice (the nurse who called me today) and make an appointment with my primary care physician and see if I can get tested for allergies as well as tuberculosis.

Third, maybe I am allergic to mold. There is some more mold growing on my bathroom ceiling.

I've never really been bothered by allergies. However, my mom is very allergic to a lot of things - she gets hay fever, she has asthma, she's allergic to animal dander and metal, as well as the sun. My youngest brother also has hay fever. My sister breaks out into a rash in the sun. Several years ago, during a particularly high pollen year, my eyes burned. So, I just may be susceptible.

In past years, I've gotten a cough that hangs on for weeks, usually in the winter time.

I also had a cough that hung on for a couple of months last summer, when I was doing radiation treatments.

If I do, then I think it's highly probable that the lung nodules are caused by allergies.

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Carver said...

Hi Dee,

I think it's so hard to know sometimes but allergies can be caused by so many things. I also know that when I had a lung nodule show up it was on scans around the summer time and then when they disappeared it was with winter scans. This was a while back but I do think benign lung nodules are pretty common.

I always think of you and your beam me up scotty when I'm photographing my morning glories. Take care, Carver

Dee said...

Hi Carver,
Yes, I loved seeing your morning glory! I figured you'd remember the "beam me up scotty" remark!

I plan to call my primary care doc and try to figure out what's going on. Tykerb can also cause lung inflammation, too . . . so now I'm thinking if I go off the Tykerb and if those nodules are cancer, then I might have to go on Herceptin. Sigh. Trying not to go there.