Thursday, October 21, 2010

I vant to suck your blood!

In honor of our upcoming holiday, I want blood.

Why oh why, might you ask? Have I become a vampire?

Well, it would certainly be more exotic to be a vampire, but sadly, no. I am anemic.

My hemoglobin went down to 8.0, only down 0.3 in a week, but since the Abraxane will likely put me below 8, they want me to get a blood transfusion. I guess if you are in the 7.0-7.9 range, your heart really has to work that much harder to deliver oxygen to your body. So as not to tax my heart, I will get a transfusion.

But a transfusion will likely take 4.5 to 5.0 hours. I am having lunch with a colleague tomorrow and I teach at noon on Monday. So no big 5-hour blocks of time when I can be tethered to my IV pole. (Hmm, I have seen YouTube videos of people dancing with their IV poles. Maybe I should bring stuff to decorate my pole somewhat it can resemble a human dance partner? Hmm, what do you think? I can bring my iPad with my music and dance down the hall or something!!)

So, I will have a blood draw on Monday morning, to check my hemoglobin level and the blood typing, and will get the transfusion after I see the wound care nurse on Tuesday morning.

No comments: