Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Weird, Maybe a Little Freaked Out

As I said in my earlier post, I have been tired all day. A deep fatigue that I couldn't shake with caffeine. There is an ache in my shoulder - I think there's lots of inflammation there, which I think is a good thing. The ache isn't bad enough for me to use Tylenol or Ibuprofen, although I may if it doesn't go away in about ten days.

I was supposed to go play Bunco tonight at a friend's house. But in the end, because of how tired I was, I decided to stay home and rest. (I'm trying to remember what Joanna said her doctor said, if you are experiencing fatigue, that means Herceptin is working.) Then, I decided to get into my jammies and then I looked at the dressing - I saw the surgeon today and discovered that the whole dressing had pulled away from my skin on the bottom, so then I had to change the dressing.

I took the dressing off (it was fairly soaked) and then one of the larger satellite lesions - I've been watching it for a few days because it seemed like the skin was deteriorating - started bleeding. I used one sheet of a drain sponge to try to stop it and it took several minutes before it did.

Weird.

I was a little freaked out. I wondered what I should do in case it didn't stop bleeding. I'll call the surgeon tomorrow and ask for advice.

Of course, it makes me wonder things like: Will they want to do surgery sooner rather than later? What if more of the tissue dies? Will they want to remove it so that I won't have to deal with bleeding? But if they do surgery, I won't be able to fly - I don't think - and I'm supposed to go to Hawaii in two weeks.

Okay, I won't borrow trouble until I know more. But bleeding cancerous tissue doesn't seem like a good thing? Well, maybe it is, but how do you control it? I will post about my visit with the doctor later today.

No comments: