Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Beating the Odds

Caroline, over at Caroline's Breast Cancer Blog, posted this link about metastatic breast cancer patients, with some interesting statistics.

First, the median age of survival after diagnosis is 26 months.

Second, only 1 in 5 survive past 5 years.

I was diagnosed with metastatic disease almost three years ago - about 35 months and 2 weeks. So, I'm past the first statistics.

And, it's my intention to go well beyond the 5 years.

I know a few other bloggers who have survived past the 5 year mark. So, I know it's doable.

Here's to continuing to beat the odds, ladies!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

The odds are good for you because you are a fighter. Positive thoughts don't keep cancer away. (They do make you happier and they probably do help your immune system which certainly helps in the fight.) You are beating the odds because you seek out healing treatments and they are going to continue to work. I admire how you pursue multiple avenues towards healing.

Dee said...

@Joanna, I figure pursuing multiple avenues towards healing improves my odds. Seems a shame not to take advantage of a wide variety of approaches!