Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Unmistakable Touch of Grace

I'm reading a book entitled "The Unmistakable Touch of Grace" by Cheryl Richardson. While I'm sometimes uncomfortable with the Christian undertones as well as how commercial her website is (which is why I didn't provide a link to it), I do like what she has to say in the book. The gist of the book is to learn how to recognize when the Divine or the powers that be place messages or opportunities in your path and then to take that path. The path may not always lead you the way you think it's going to, but in the end, it's will contribute to your spiritual growth.

After I was in Hawaii last month (Renee and I had several conversations regarding spirituality), I decided that I should go on a meditation retreat. About a week and a half ago, I mentioned it to a friend and she said that she'd go on one with me. Then, two nights ago, as I read "Touch of Grace", the author mentioned that her work life had become very successful but also too busy, so she decided that after she honored her professional commitments, she'd slow down. One of the first things she did was to go on a meditation retreat. My colleague today told me that she'd take me to this Zen meditation group that meets on Sunday mornings. Just now as I was reading the blog of another cancer blogger (Chris at The Edge of Light), she said that she just started a meditation class.

Hmm. Do ya think the world is trying to tell me something?

Also, while I was in Hawaii, I really connected with turtles. Every time I went into a shop, things with turtles in them caught my eye. I bought turtle earrings, Renee got me a turtle bookmark, I bought a carved bone pendant with a mother turtle carrying a baby turtle on its back (it reminded me of Inupiat umaqqing which is when a mother carries her child on her back), and I bought gifts for family members with turtles. Upon my return home, one of my grad students was wearing a turtle pendant that she bought in Hawaii. Then, on Facebook, someone thanked one of my friends for the turtle necklace and I just happened the read that post. Then, the day before I went to Alaska, I stopped at a stoplight behind a car with, yes, you guessed it, a turtle decal in the window.

Hmm. Do ya think the world is trying to tell me something?

I think the world is trying to tell me to slow down (hence the turtle) and one of my friends this morning also told me that the turtle represents a long life (I like that interpretation, too!). The world is also telling me that my path to slowing down is to do meditation.

What's your take on it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my take on it daughter of mine. Maybe this parent knows a little something, huh? Ran into Earlene and Allie at Trans Leadership panel and they both agreed that you really, really, really need to slow down. One thing at a time, one day at a time, yes? A meditation retreat definitely sounds like the thing to do. Mayhap, in this busy world, we should all consider doing the same.

Dee said...

Hi dad,
Yes, I know I need to slow down. I'm going to try harder! It's just easy to be lured into this society's game plan - do, do, do, all the time!

Carver said...

OK now this is too weird. I just got back from a walk and I photographed, drum roll, turtles. I used to meditate and I know that's something I'd benefit from now too.

Liz Kreger said...

I’m a firm believer in the fact that the path you’re following doesn’t always go where you expect (or want). Part of the mystery of life.

Love the turtle interpretation. Either (slowing down and long life) is fantastic, IMO. And too funny ... this morning my daughter’s friend was chattering away about the turtle she just got the other day. You are definitely being given a message. LOL.

mapdr said...

I love how you took the image of the turtle and made it your own. To me, that is an important part of the journey of spiritual awakening and enlightenment. I hesitate to tell you this, but in Hawaii, turtles may appear to be quite slow as they move on land, but they know how to boogie in the ocean. I don't think I can swim as fast as a turtle can, but I certainly can run faster than one. So, while I agree with everyone that you need to slow down and let the sun shine in enjoying each beam of light, perhaps you are also meant to soar into this place where your spirit will play.

Dee said...

Hi Carver and Liz,
Both of you having turtle experiences today! And, after I wrote that post, I went to get my chai and as I pulled up behind a car, what was there? More turtle decals. I definitely think that the world is trying to tell me something.

Renee, I hadn't thought about how a turtle moves in water . .. just thought about those old tales like "the turtoise and the hare" - turtles are usually associated with slowness. However, I do like your interpretation having to do with their quickness in water: that my spirit will soar in this different element (water rather than air). Well, that made sense to me .. . : )

Okay, universe - heard the message!