Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pinxploitation

Laurie, over at "Not Just About Cancer", posted about all the pink marketing in October for breast cancer awareness and she called it "pinxploitation". I think it's appropriate and wanted to give her credit for her new word. Thanks, Laurie!!

In the last year or so, after I learned how much the companies make from pink ribbon marketing, but only a small percentage of the profits actually goes to breast cancer research or support - I have tried not to literally buy into pink ribbon marketing. I don't really participate in Walks for the Cause or Races for the Cure. However, I do understand that the pink ribbons and such help breast cancer survivors connect with others going through treatments and find support and I know that my family and friends feel that by participating in such events, they are supporting me. I sometimes get gifts with pink ribbons. And, that's okay. By receiving them, I know they love me and are thinking about me and I accept those gifts in the spirit in which they are given.

So, I am engaging in a small, quiet protest by not buying into pink ribbon marketing. But I don't make others feel bad or guilty for doing so because I think their heart is in the right place and also because there's enough guilt and bad feelings in the world that I don't need to add to it. I just focus on things that make me happy and don't dwell too much on the negative.

3 comments:

laurie said...

Thanks for the shout out and the post, Dee.
And I love your new pic - you look healthy and gorgeous.

Liz Kreger said...

Oh, I'm totally with you, Dee and Laurie. I learned a few years ago just how little go toward the actual research and/or treatment of breast cancer.

However, I do know that whenever they have a Susan G. Komen's Walk for the Cure, a huge percentage of the money remains in the city hosting the event and is used strictly for the benefit of cancer survivors and those going through treatment.

THAT is an event I will always support.

Dee said...

Hi Laurie,
That picture of me was taken under the roots of a 500-year old Sitka Spruce tree just a few weeks ago. It's located at Cape Perpetua. It was a beautiful, gorgeous day. Thanks for the compliment - now if only my markers matched how I looked! Soon enough, I hope!

Hey Liz, well, it's good that the money stays local . . . it's interesting, though, I've never really wanted to go the Walk - I think I'm afraid of how emotional I'll get. But maybe it'll be cathartic.

Thanks for visiting!