Monday, March 22, 2010

More Clinical Trial Visits - and Another Donation

I want to share with you subsequent visit dates for the UW clinical trial, and another donation.

I have scheduled the dates for my subsequent three visits. They are June 1-3 (probably three nights), June 10, and June 17. I will contact the national ACS office for additional hotel stays. I didn't realize that they would wait me there on June 1, 2, and 3, until today. (I already have visits scheduled for April 5, 12, 19, and May 3.)

When I went to double-check the protocol earlier today, I saw that I will have three additional follow-up visits at one-month, two months, and four months after June 17. Holy cow! I thought that they said that I might be able to do those follow-ups down here, but will double-check that. So, for now, I will leave those dates out of an updated version of the budget.

Study/treatment dates
7 visits (April 5, 12, 19, May 3, June 1-3, 10, 17) = 9 nights x $200/night hotel = $1800
7 car/train trips @ $100-120 each = $840 minus one trip to use Airlines certificate = $720
16 days (April 4-5, 11-12, 18-19, May 2-3, May 31-June 3, 9-10, 16-17) @ $50/day = $800
taxi/parking for 9 days (study visit dates) @$30 (not sure if I will need that much) = $270

Total = $3590

So far, I have received:
-four hotel nights for the first four visits to UW (April 5, 12, 19, and May 3) = $800 from the national ACS office in Arizona
-a $200 gift certificate to Alaska Airlines
-a $200 gas card from Komen?
-and $1100 from you/Cancer Center

- pending hotel visits in June (5 nights) from national ACS = $1000 (I need to request these yet)

Total Received = $3300 ($1800 hotel, $200 air, $200 gas, $1100 cash)

Based upon this budget, I am about $290 short. I guess it depends on whether or not the local ACS office has a gas card for me, too. Then, I think the visits from April to June will be covered. I can also probably cut corners here and there to make it all work. In the end, a majority of the visits have been covered.

I am humbled by the generosity of ACS and of my friends. Thank you all!

Speaking of which, I had a couple people offer to drive me up and back. I thought that it might be fun if I have a mix of people help out.

So far, I think my folks will go with me on the first visit on April 4-5.

My friend Amy and I talked about her joining me on April 11-12.

If the vaccinations I receive leave me with little side effects, then I might use the Alaska Airlines gift certificate for the April 19 visit. However, if someone else wanted to drive, then maybe I would use it for one of the June visits.

I might ask my folks to drive me for the May 3 visit as I will be having my t-cells removed.

I might also ask them to help for the June 1-3 visit as I will be getting chemo.

June 10 and 17 I don't have a plan. If I don't use the Alaska Air ticket for April 19, then I might use it for one of these visits.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Dee

To answer your question on my blog, yes I have google ads but I only added them recently. I asked Debby over at http://lifesfunnylikethat.blogspot.com/ and she said she does get small checks for them. I am undecided long term. I have decided I'll try them and see if they help me at all. I don't expect to make a lot of money. Hope this helps. Caroline

Dee said...

Hi Caroline,
Thank you for responding . . . I've thought about it off and on. Another blogger I read said that she tried it a couple of years ago and she kept getting ads about quack cures for cancer, so she stopped. However, the ads I saw on your blog weren't too bad. I'll think about it some more. I don't expect to make a lot of money either as I don't get a lot of traffic, but on the other hand, any little bit helps, huh?