Thursday, July 30, 2009

KNOM Radio Interview

P.S. I am having technical difficulties figuring out how to post the audio .mp3 . . . I did it once but that was well over a year ago! Now I can't remember what I did! I'll post it as soon as I can!

While I was in Nome, Laureli Kinneen, the public affairs director at KNOM radio station, interviewed me about the King Island placenames project. KNOM is the "oldest Catholic radio station in Alaska" and broadcasts over a 100,000 square mile area. It is an "Alaska Radio Mission". What I like about KNOM, as opposed to radio stations down south, is that you never know what you will hear playing on the radio: rock music, country, Eskimo songs from all over, prayers and rosaries, educational bits such as the one I heard about a particular bird whose name escapes me, Alaska Native elders interviewed, plus local news items. Laureli interviewed me as a "KNOM Profiles" which airs throughout the week, I think.

Here is the .mp3 of my interview:

KNOM Profile

Laureli asked that I give proper credit for this Profile: KNOM, P.O. Box 988, Nome, Alaska, 99762

I got a little emotional at the end and because of that, I wasn't able to talk about all the elders and community members who worked on the project, not to mention the scientists who have helped, too. I apologize if I happen to have missed you!

4 comments:

JeremiahOsGo said...

Very cool, Dede! I just listened to the mp3 and, of course, was enraptured...

By the way, the audio started automatically when I clicked on the "KNOM Radio Interview" blog title (versus a blank space under the "Here is the mp3 of my interview:" mid-way through the post).

Way to get the word out!

Liz Kreger said...

That is really cool, Dee. I didn't get a chance to listen yet, but will make an effort soon.

Liz Kreger said...

Hmmm. There's no link in your blog. Wasn't able to hook up.

Dee said...

Hi Goo,
There's a way to put a "widget" into your blog post so that you can play the file directly when you read the post. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Hi Liz,
Sorry about that! I thought I figured it out and haven't had a chance to fix it yet. I'm working on it now as I type! Take care!

Thank you both for visiting!