Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Home Safely

I got home a little after 1am last night and for some g*#d#mn reason, I couldn't sleep. I was restless and wired. I finally got up and went into the living room about 2:45am and read a book for awhile. I went back to bed about 3:15 and I think I slept, but I woke up at 5:30, 7:15/30, and then 8:30. Tried to get back to sleep, but I only dozed, I think.

So, I'm really tired today. It doesn't help that it's already about 100 degrees - according to my thermometer outside my kitchen window. It's in the shade, not in the sun, too. 100 degrees in the shade. Criminy.

Luckily, the house is about 80 thanks to two air conditioners - one in our bedroom and one in the living room.

Today is Eddie's birthday. He turns 9 years old! No big Price is Right game this time - although he does want to play karaoke. I need to find a good functioning karaoke machine before Saturday. My cousin Toni baked him a cake on Monday before we left - so we had cake and ice cream. I just took my folks and my brother and Eddie out to lunch to celebrate, too.

I'll need to go into work tomorrow, if only briefly to turn in receipts and such. But mostly I think I'll use this week to rest up and prepare for Eddie's birthday. I just need to find some time to write!!

So, what did I accomplish while in Alaska? Coordinated activities so that our science team could work together - elders with Kim and Larry on birds; elders with Jesse and Larry on plants; elders with me, Larry, and Matt on the map; five interviews (wanted 10 but what can you do?) - two on Alaska statehood and three on Native corporations; made some inquiries about hiring a community research assistant; consulted with various folks to find more people for more interviews (laying the groundwork for the September trip); went picking tugayuq (a type of green) for awhile with elders; an interview in KNOM (will post the mp3) and with Kawerak; and then fun stuff: two birthday parties (my own and Eddie's), two Eskimo dances; hanging out with various communities members and visiting and eating eating eating. Lots of people cooked for me, which always makes me happy!

Not too shabby for ten days, huh?

A huge thank you to everyone who fed me (Toni, Gemma, Charlene); to Toni who housed me, who took care of Eddie for me (mom, Toni) or who played with Eddie (Toni's kids; Stephen; Jaden); to people who allowed me to interview them; to the King Islanders for supporting the project; for the science team for working on this project; and for our birthday gifts - hand-knit King Island gloves, ivory earrings, a huge card, cake, a big picture of King Island village; and just for the experience of hanging out with all of you and reestablishing our connections. Thank you!

P.S. I was feeling a little down and depressed, mostly because I have no energy from not sleeping. That pisses me off when I can't sleep. But reiterating all that I have thankful has put me in a better frame of mind. Thanks to everyone for giving me the opportunity to say thanks!

No comments: