Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dilaudid helps with sleep

I got a lot more sleep last night. I started taking Dilaudid every four hours for pain, but it also makes me drowsy, so I sleep more, especially at night.

I do have nausea, so I take Zofran regularly and I eat lots of little meals. I hope that after 8 more sessions of WBR, then I can begin weaning off the steroids - the docs say the swelling goes down after a day- which I am keeping at 6 mg per day if I can, of the Decadron. 6 is better than the 16 I was on. I will deal with a little bit of nausea in exchange for going on more steroids.

I don't know what to expect with the arm, although the doctor said to make sure I take Dilaudid within a an hour of doing radiation. She said itmwill get worse before it gets better.

But at least I feel like I am doing something active for the tumors in my grain and armpit.

I expect that TDM-1 trial in Stockton, if I am eligible for it, won't take place until late September, if at all. Rumor has it, though, that Genentech hopes to have FDA approval for the drug to be give to patients in their home clinics by the end of August.

In the meantime, I am just glad I slept. Even if it makes me tired each day. I just rest and watch a lot of movies on TV.

I do have more numbness in my right arm - the three fingers and now into my right forearm a bit. I try to stretch that arm frequently. I am also back to wearing a compression sleeve on my left arm, although I don't go far up my left ATM, to leave the field clear for radiation. My eyes are also having a tough time seeing thongs up close, so between them and my arms, I don't stay on the computer much. I may have to get bifocal lenses.

Still need to work on financial matters, like insurance for me and Eddie beginning October 1. He is covered also by his dad. I will need to work on that next week.

It is much better to feel positive when I feel better. As my acupuncturist says, I am strong, even when I cry. Just glad Eddie is back East with his dad right now while Iam feeling even more under the weather. I hope I feel stronger next week when he returns home. Best not to look to far into the future right now and take things day by day.

No comments: