Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hard to Feel Sorry for Myself In Situations Like This . . .

One of the Alaska Native villages in Alaska lost power due to what they are calling a "line snap" - their power lines snapped together in high winds and freezing precipitation.

Anyway, an Alaska Native blogger I know, Rainey, posted the following:

Savoonga

They could use some help. I still have a roof over my head with nice comfy temperatures and there's lots of food in my cupboard. These poor folks are low on food and their houses are frozen and they can't live in them, so they're living in the school gym. I don't think they have power yet.

I also know that a King Island man, John Koezuna, is lost and may have been caught in a bad storm between Woolley Lagoon and Nome. Please pray for his safe return.

I have much to be thankful for. I'm going to send out a small donation tomorrow, I think. It feels good to help others, especially when I've been the recipient of help.

Speaking of being a recipient, I have received a few boxes in the mail in the last week or so. First, before Christmas, my friend in Hawaii sent me a hand-dyed scarf from Hawaii with some earrings made with a shell from New Zealand - they're beautiful! And, today, I had TWO boxes from Phyllis, who was the mom of a former boyfriend in the mid-1980s. Phyllis and I stayed in touch over the years - she was like a second mom to me when I was at UP. She sent me a handmade scarf and a hat, with an angel pin that she put there to look over me. I also received a box from the mom of someone I went to high school with - Linda and Billy hosted me and Eddie this past summer on Camano Island, during one of my trips to UW to participate in the clinical trial. She sent me four hats, a shawl, a lap robe, and three hats for Eddie.

So, even though my own news wasn't great today, I still have much to be thankful for. Thank you, Renee, Phyllis, and Linda & Billy for the wonderful and thoughtful gifts! Wow. I have a great variety to choose from now! Thank you! Love you all very much!

No comments: