Monday, July 5, 2010

To Monetize or Not to Monetize

So, I'm considering doing the "monetize" function (i.e., using Google's AdSense) on my blog.

This month, I will have an extra $500 in expenses because of the need for a new crown.

In addition, I received extra summer salary this month, but where I thought I would get two full-time weeks of pay at the end of June, it turns out that I only got about one and a half weeks, which, after taxes, amounts to about $600 less.

Damn.  That's $1100 less this month, which means less to go towards paying off some debt.  Whatever extra I received will go to the new crown and to Eddie's "Wipe-out Kids' Edition" Birthday Party - with some extra going to the debt.

In the end, we do need more money coming into the household.  And doing Google's AdSense is an easy way to do it.  It will inconvenience my readers . . . just because they will be confronted with them.  So, I apologize.  I think, though, that I can choose to block some companies.  I plan to use whatever extra (which I realize probably won't be a lot) to pay down the home equity line of credit (which I used when I was diagnosed two and a half years ago and on sabbatical).  Mom and dad do contribute to the household - both in monetary and non-monetary ways - but it always seems to be a little touch and go.  A little more cash flow will be good . . .

So, dear readers, I will probably implement this change in the next week or so.  It'll be an experiment . .. if it pans out, great.  If not, then I will take it off.  Thank you for your patience!

4 comments:

Daria said...

Wishing you all the best with that.

Joanna said...

Go ahead and monetize. It will not inconvenience your readership and hopefully, it will help you. I would be happy if you would put a donate button up. You deserve all the best.

Dee said...

Thank you both, Daria and Joanna. I will let you know how it turns out . . .

And, Joanna, who knows? I may put a donate button up, but I hate to do that. I do earn a good living . . . but the extra medical expenses seem to add up! So, it's frustrating! I thank you for the suggestion . . . but it seems a hard thing to ask since I know a lot of other people are struggling to make ends meet, too.

Alaska Laura said...

You know Dee I have thought many times of doing this myself, mostly because I cannot work two jobs (I'm a single mom) since my cancer treatments, I'm just too ding dong fatigued to hold down two jobs any more.

Good luck and I hope you get enough additional income to help out :)