Sunday, July 25, 2010

A New Symptom?

Yesterday was my son's "Wipe-out Kids' Edition" Birthday Party.  I will write another post about that adventure.  But it was quite warm out (about 96 degrees) and I was in the heat from about 12noon or so until about 6:00pm.  Eddie's party was from 2-4pm, but then some friends stayed to hang out in the shade.

But last night, I took a cool bath to wash off dirt and sweat and I noticed that the area around my right groin was swollen.  It was raised about a half inch from normal.  The whole swollen area was about 4-5 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.  It felt a little squishy so I presume it was fluid/lymphedema. 

Dang.  Lymphedema?  In my groin?  My only guess is that the lymphedema which is in my right scapula area (around the shoulder blade) had migrated down to the groin via gravity but was not able to drain for whatever reason.

So, I stimulated the lymph nodes around the groin and did some squats and stretches in an attempt to move the lymph in that area.  By this morning, the swelling is down quite a bit, but I can still tell it's there.  That area is now somewhat tender. 

Also, the last few nights, I have not been able to get comfortable when it comes time for bed.  The swollen lymph nodes in my left armpit kinda throb with pain.  When I pay attention, it's almost continuous.  I started taking an extra dose of Tylenol about mid-day - before I only had 2 extra-strength Tylenol in the morning and 2 at night. 

I had a Herceptin treatment on Monday. My guess is that maybe, just maybe, the extra pain is caused by blockage in the lymph system, causing most of the Herceptin to kinda pool in the area of my armpit and upper arm.  Dr. S from UW said that a lot of the t-cells (Herminator-2) cells are congregating in the lymph nodes there since my injections go in that left arm.  It makes sense that the Herceptin would do the same since my Herceptin goes in that arm as well.  That's my interpretation anyway.

I'm calling my oncologist, Dr. K., tomorrow and will report on the lymph in the groin and also the pain in the left armpit and see what he says.  I may ask for a prescription for pain pills and will also make sure that it's okay to travel.  I am supposed to leave for Alaska on Tuesday for an 11-day trip.  I choose this time to go because Eddie is going back east with his dad. 

I'm really going to miss him.  I wish he wasn't going to be gone for that long.

No comments: