Friday, February 5, 2010

Lists

One of the blogs I read is written by Laurie at Not Just About Cancer. Today, she posted about creating her list of things to do, "lists are good", for the month of February, based upon a group called "List Lovers Unite" on BlogHer.

I use lists a lot, especially at work. This past fall, I went from using one notepad with a list of things to do - with sublists for each project - to five notepads with a list on it. This way, I could kinda keep track of what was going on with my various different projects. Anyway, here's my list:

1. Interview 3 or 4 more Yup'ik/Inupiaq elders for the Alaska Statehood project.
2. Do research on breast cancer blogs - I'm trying to compile a list of the major complaints or problems breast cancer patients face which can be passed on to care providers.
3. Submit a workshop proposal for an indigenous project I'm working on with some other indigenous scholars.
4. Find and draft a grant proposal to buy me out of classes next year.
5. Submit a conference proposal to bring students to the International Conference on Indigenous Place Names.
6. Finish my mosaic.
7. Shred old financial documents.
8. Organize storage closet.
9. Help Eddie create his Valentine's Day Box. I think we're shooting to make a Mario-kart look-alike.
10. Meditate and practice qigong 4-5 times per week.

The good news is that I finally feel as if I have better focus at work. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, it's not that I don't like my job. It's that there are other things I wish to spend my time on. I think I'm finally figuring out how I can incorporate my interests into my work . . . still working on some ideas, but I've had a couple of good conversations with friends this week that are fleshing it out.

No comments: