Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm Eligible for the UW Trial!

I just got the email that I am eligible for the immunotherapy trial at the University of Washington. The clinical trial is with the Tumor Vaccine Group.

From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be many side effects in patients who receive this kind of therapy. I'll have to read the materials, but when I read them before, there didn't seem to be much risk, other than the possibility that this wouldn't work.

I also don't really like the idea of taking cytoxan, which I've had before. It's a traditional chemo drug, which means nausea is a possibility. On the other hand, if the rest of the therapy helps and the info they get from my participation helps further the advancement of creating a "vaccine" for cancer, so much the better!

The last thing is finding travel funds because it means 7 trips to Seattle. That means train trips or car drives, and hotel and food. I have numbers to call - the American Cancer Society and my local cancer center ...

More updates will be forthcoming .. .

No comments: