Monday, February 9, 2009

I'm home!

I stopped taking narcotics and antinausea meds in the hospital in the middle of the night Saturday night. By late afternoon on Sunday, I was able to finally eat a turkey sandwich (my mouth felt like cotton). Once I was able to eat solid foods, Dr. H discharged me, so I came home this morning! Yay!

I do have some pain - but really minor (a 1 out of 10), more like a discomfort that Liz talked about. I really don't even feel much of the pain until I cough and I seem to be coughing quite a bit from a build-up of fluids in my lungs.

But, I have boobs! Yay!

And, Dr. C took out my ovaries. While she had the camera looking at my insides, she took pictures of my liver, my gall bladder, my uterus and fallopian tubes in addition to the ovaries. The good news? There's nothing on the liver. It looks whole and pink and healthy. No lesions. Great news - means that the cancer has not spread there. So, as far as we know, it's only in the bone marrow.

Dr. H also excised the bad radiated tissue where the wound was (no more open skin wound!) and they sent it to the lab to test for cancer. I don't expect the lab to find any. I'll keep you all posted.

Otherwise, I'm trying to keep a low profile - need to figure out a comfortable spot on the couch.

Whew. Glad it's over and done with. Now, on to the healing!


Liz Kreger said...

I am so glad you're home, Dee and that everything seems to be okay. I've been thinking of you all weekend and wondering how you were doing.

I was talking to my SIL about my tram flap surgery and she kept insisting that I was bitchin' up a storm about how much it hurt. I think she's seriously mistaken. Granted it was a number of years ago, but I don't bitch about things like that. I generally keep my pain (or discomfort) to myself. She's probably thinking of herself after one of her surgeries. LOL.

Anyway, glad your home and look forward to hearing your progress.

Daria said...

I'm so happy for you ... good news all the way around.

Dee said...

Hi Liz,
Well, glad I didn't hear what your SIL had to say about your experience - when you said "discomfort" that's what I've focused on. I can handle this discomfort. I can't really handle the nausea. Still not quite 100% in terms of the nausea, but I can eat solid foods.

Anyway, glad you thought of me this week-end . . . those healing vibes really helped, I'm sure!

And, Daria, thank you for visiting. I'm sorry for the kinds of treatments that you had for your mets. I hope that you're doing well.

laurie said...

Wishing you the smoothest, easiest of healing. And some good books to read and movies to watch while you do it.

Carver said...

Hi Dee,

Great to see your post that you are home and recovering and that your liver is looking good (that's a biggie). Sending out a ton of healing vibes your way. As ever in friendship, Carver