Monday, July 28, 2008

Andrew's and Jessica's Mandala

A few weeks ago, I attended the wedding of a colleague of mine, Andrew. He was the one who suggested I create a blog to keep people updated.

The wedding was at The Armory in Portland and it was at times, touching, and sometimes, humorous. At any rate, I really wanted to create something for them and not just buy something. Since both blogging and mandalas have been really helpful to me as I undergo treatments, since Andrew suggested the blog, I decided to make them a mandala. (I think that's full circle.)

Their wedding invitations had a tandem bicycle and they decided to take a tandem bike ride to the Oregon Coast for the week after their wedding. Taking that as my cue, I decided to create a mandala using bicycle wheels (including spokes) as the inspiration. I overlapped the wheels to represent their now overlapping lives. They both seem to like "warm colors", so that's what I used. They also gave all of their guests a CD with love songs (including Sonny and Cher's "I got you babe") that I have really enjoyed. The last song is the old folksong called "Daisy Daisy". The lyrics state that the man couldn't afford a carriage, but that the bride would look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two, so I entitled "A Bicycle Built for Two".

No comments: