Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veterans Day

Hello. Happy Veterans Day for all you out there today.

I have been reluctant to have visitors due to the thrush in my mouth, how hard it is for me to talk, and how dry my mouth gets after just saying a few words. So I guess for the next week or so if you could keep your visits to a minimum I would appreciate it. It's just too hard on me and hard on my voice.

But I am better. I finally ate some watermelon today for the first time in about a week and a half. Yesterday I asked the wound care nurse if she had heard stories of how long women had lasted only drinking water and other fluids. She said the longest they have on record is 70 days, or about 10 weeks. I guess I don't have to worry about that because I had watermelon today.

The physical therapist stopped by today and she is going to put in a raised toilet seat for me. I hate to say it but it is getting difficult for me to stand up from sitting on the toilet. Other than that, the mattress is feeling wonderful. Not much else is happening. 

I hope you all had a good day and I will talk to you tomorrow.

2 comments:

MisAnthropology said...

Catherine of Sienna lived for a remarkable number of years eating nothing but lettuce, sometimes forcing herself to spit it up, even forcing herself to reject any liquid she took. Hers was a case of extreme, willful asceticism, not illness. She was by choice anorexic. When you are put in a position of no choice, such a "choice" as hers seems absolutely nuts, but there may be something you can glean from her story of willful deprivation. At some point, in some circumstances, the person can transcend the limitations of the body.

No matter what happens, you do transcend. You are far more than your body. You know that, right?

Joanna said...

I just hope you get rid of the thrush and are comfortable. It sounds like you are being well taken care of. May there be happy days ahead for you.