Saturday, October 15, 2011

Losing weight has me worried

I'm going to be talking to my friend Aurthur soon; he is going to help me organize the cancer book. In the meantime, I'm just resting and sleeping a lot. I had the Herceptin, Gemzar, and Zomeda treatment yesterday. So far so good! I don't seem to be having any nausea, etc., although I've been religiously taking my anti-nausea meds. 

I did, however, lose 10 lbs over the past two weeks, and that has me worried that my body is just going to fade away. But I talked to my nurse, who then talked to the doctor, and we're going to see how this next Gemzar treatment affects me. If it seems to be fighting the cancer, the doctor's going to go ahead and let me do a TPV (a total parental nutrition IV drip). I think I will have to sit in the hospital for a day and get a bag of nutrients- so that  I don't fade away to nothing, and will also have strength to take on the next treatment. I'll let you know how that goes.

In the meantime, my girlfriend Brenda stopped by this morning and told me the status of my book. Rebecka stopped by yesterday with an update on the status of her various work projects. I've also had a visit from Irene, and I have to make a phone call for another grad student that I wasn't able to get to on Friday. 

I think that's about all I have to say. Just waiting to see how the treatments go and not wanting to lose any more weight. I'm going to try to triple the amount of Jamba Juice I take in so that I am drinking 3 a day, plus 2 applesauces, and maybe 2 servings of watermelon. Hopefully I will be able to at least maintain my weight. I really can't stand the smell of anything else, it just makes me sick. That's just the way it is: I don't have an appetite.

4 comments:

Debbi said...

Its good that you don't have nausea hon.
Keep up with the meds tho. I've read so many times once it starts sometimes the meds wont help it. So don't miss any doses.
I have been losing weight too...and I am already so thin. I feel ya on the wasting away...
I am eating better now..and drinking lots of Boost and Ensure but my daughter who is a nurse told me about a med that will help me eat lots and gain weight. I'm going to ask for it. I will write you and tell you the name of it..Maybe it will help you too.
Glad your visits were nice and things with your book are coming along.
Rest and take it easy
Hugs
Debbi

j said...

At a loss for what to say but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. Sorry that food doesn't seem to be a source of pleasure. I really am. xo jeanne

j said...

A thought: Does sniffing limes or peppermint oil or MAYBE lavender help at all? (I apologize if this very comment makes you feel queasy)

MisAnthropology said...

No nausea is soooo good. Of all the ways to feel ill that I have ever experienced, the 'n' is the worst. As for "fading away," metaphorically, you couldn't do that if you tried. Still, I'm sending packing-it-on thoughts your way.