Monday, May 25, 2009

News on the Mosaic "Letting Go"

I started this project last June, shortly after I broke a bunch of plates in an attempt to bodily let go of a lot of anger I've been harboring for years.

My dad and Gooey created the pedestal last July.

In August, my friend Rick came over and cut out the circle of the MSD board for the base of the mosaic. Then, Scott helped me sand both sides and the edges of the board.

Scott and I also started to glue down the tiles and shards to the board but we only got a little bit done before fall/winter set in. Then it was too cold or wet to work in the garage.

We finally started working on it last month. We got the basic design completed.

Here's Scott cutting tiles.

Here's the basic design.

This is what it looks like after I put in the white tile yesterday.

Today, I grout it. Then, I plan to put a sealant over it. I also need to find some metal stripping for the edge. I read that you can find some that curves.

I'm hoping it's all ready to go on the pedestal by next week-end. That'll get it out of the garage, where it's taking up a lot of room. Yay!


Daria said...

That looks wonderful ... can hardly wait to see the completed project.

Carver said...

That looks great Dee. I've been wondering how that was going. I remember you talking about it when you were here last June and thinking about what kind of base to use.

Dee said...

Hi Daria,
I can't wait to see the finished project either! I grouted it yesterday, now I need to clean things up a bit before I seal it.

Howdy Carver,
Hard to believe it was almost a year ago when I came to visit you! So much has happened. I can't believe that at the time I visited you, I hadn't figured out what I should use for the base yet. Hard to believe!