Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Torn Feelings about Fall

Yesterday was the first day of fall. When it first starts, I find myself dreading the cooler nights and days. Summer really is my favorite time of year, especially in the area where I live. It's rarely too hot and then when it does get hot, it tends to cool down at night. I like the free time that I associate with summer - a flexible schedule, the freedom to do what you want when you want. When school starts, it just gets so scheduled, both for me and my son. Fall also represents a prelude to winter to me, when it is chillier and there's not a lot of daylight.

But, today, my colleague mentioned that he enjoys this time of year and the reason was because of the energy that one feels on campus. The students are returning and they are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (we're on a trimester system here, which means we start about a month later than colleagues on a semester system) and our colleagues are coming in to their office to get started on a new academic year. I had to admit that he was right and I certainly feel that anticipation of something new.

My own energy seems to be mirroring the energy of campus: I find myself looking forward to work, trying to finish up old projects and starting to work on new ones. I find myself being really silly with Eddie in the mornings, talking in funny voices and chuckling a lot. Volleyball starts next week and our whole team is happy to start up again. I'm sleeping a lot better than I did last winter/spring. I am feeling a bit like my own self. My office manager, Karen, told me today that I look good and energetic. One of Scott's friends said that I seemed lighter when I saw him a couple of weeks ago than I did when I first met him about 18 months ago. I am just so glad to get back to work and have energy to begin thinking about new projects and to be able to have fun with my son. Just a few months ago, I was saying no to new projects - or being cautious about my ability to carry them off - because I just wasn't sure of my energy. I'm so relieved to know that it's back. It's nice to feel positive and happy.

It feels good. I feel good. Bodes well, doesn't it?

Happy fall everyone!

4 comments:

MisAnthropology said...

Bodes well. I have to say, even though I always cling to the dregs of summer, the feeling of fall invariably gets the better of me and I end up liking it best -- or almost best -- of all. I think my least favorite season is spring around here, because by the end of February, I'm so done with wet, cold ickiness, and all spring does is bring more wet, only slightly less cold ickiness. Winter term sucks on campus, because all the kiddies get sick and classrooms are only half full and students get really unmotivated. They only improve a little bit in spring. Fall is their golden hour, and it does lend a certain vibrancy to the campus environment.

Thinking back on old movies that are set in and around college campuses, they're almost always set in the fall (and the team is always gearing up to play a game against "State"). Fall has college associations going way back. So pull out the old Beaver-fur coat, stick a mum corsage on your lapel, jump in the jalopy and rah, rah, siss, boom, bah!

Dee said...

Hi Mary,
I'll let you pull on the Beaver-fur coat . . . I try to avoid football!! (Although I did do some cheerleading in high school.)

Interesting about college-themed movies - you're right, they are usually set in fall.

I tend to like spring. I love seeing the blooming things because it means that summer will be here soon! Winter does suck on campus . . . fall does tend to get under the skin, though!

MisAnthropology said...

you did CHEERleading...!?!

zowey!

Dee said...

Mary,
I will have to tell you the cheerleading story sometime ... not sure just how public I want to make that. Let's just say I kinda got talked into it.

Speaking of football . . . have I ever told you how much I hate traffic! Home OSU football games drives me absolutely bonkers! Hate the traffic and hate the crowds!!