Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Good and Productive Week-end

I just returned a couple of hours ago from spending the week-end in Portland. All in all, a good trip! Scott and I had a chance to hang out with some of his friends - a coworker and his wife on Friday night and his best friend on Saturday. (And, yes, we are officially boyfriend/girlfriend again, for any inquiring minds out there.) I also spent several hours at Powell's on Friday and had a bit of time on Saturday and got both the reading done for the two objects for which I need to write exhibit descriptions. The two objects are ivory carvings. I had fun reading about them and then writing the descriptions was fun, too. The drafts of the two descriptions are due tomorrow . . . the first time in a long time that I was able to make a deadline! Yippee!!

And, the weather was beautiful. Sunny, blue skies, with morning temps in the low to mid 60s, getting to the mid-80s, and cooling off to the high 60s or low 70s in the evenings. Lovely lovely weather.

Powell's Books can be a financially dangerous place for an academic to hang out. I spent about $98 on 10 books. Three for Eddie and the rest for me. I am hoping to get him started on a new mystery series starring Chet Gecko. He's been through the Wayside School books, the Magic Treehouse and Magic Schoolbus series. I found an older ethnography of Canadian Inuit, several books relating to Alaska Native corporations - the subject of one of my new grant projects - and a couple of books related to the Alaska Native view of Alaska's statehood - the subject of another new grant project. So, it's money well invested - professional development and all that jazz.

Now, if I can just find the time to read them all . . . HA!

No comments: