Monday, February 22, 2010

A Walk in the Sun and Living in the Moment

I played hookey this afternoon, by taking a nice long walk in the sunshine with Cat and her two kiddos, Finn and baby Jeremiah, aka Miss Finn and Baby Gooey, aka UGathluk and Aakagak. Finn is named after my Aunt Cecilia, who died of lung cancer in May 2006. Cecilia was married to my mom's brother, Uncle Ed. Baby Gooey is named after Uncle Gabe, another of my mom's brother, who died of pancreatic cancer in February 2006.

It was a fun walk - wide ranging conversations from more serious to kid-friendly. The sun was great, though. After I walked back to my office, I realized that it was one of those situations where you are living in the moment. I didn't hurry it. I didn't want to go back to my office and work. I just allowed myself to be present and to enjoy time with a friend and with the kiddos.

What a nice way to live. I wish we could all live that way more often, instead of living our lives by the clock. It reminded me of summer 2005, when we waited at camp at Woolley Lagoon to send community members to King Island. Just hang out, relax, and not be in a hurry. Remember that, Cat? That's heaven! Thanks, Cat, for the walk! It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon!

No comments: