Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Good Busy Day

I had class this morning, then met with my grad assistant. Then, I met with Dr. K. He was happy about the tumor marker and then I came clean and told him that I hadn't had Xeloda for about 6 weeks.

Then, amazingly, he said, well, I guess we could think about taking you off some of the meds. Before he does that, though, he'd like to know if there was anything going on of concern - he wondered if Dr. Havard could take a look at my liver while he's got me opened up. Not sure if he's going to follow up on that. But we talked about me having a CT scan after I've recovered from surgery, around April sometime.

In the meantime, I told him that I'd be okay with going back on Tykerb two weeks post-surgery. I stopped taking Tykerb last Friday, because in general, it's better to be off the chemo two weeks prior to surgery.

Work has been busy - I'm not only prepping my daily classes, but I'm starting to plan out the powerpoint lectures for several classes while I'm home recovering from surgery.

In the meantime, I'm giving the first mid-term in one class tomorrow. Mind you, I've been posting my powerpoints for almost every class. I generally just give broad general outlines in them, but the students want them to study. I feel like I'm spoon-feeding them information. I mean, do your reading, listen to the discussion and take notes and you should be fine. It's not rocket science, here. I thought I'd posted them all, but a student tonight asked me to "post the missing powerpoints". I forgot only one of them. He looked for them around 5pm. The exam is at 10am tomorrow. I don't have them with me. They're in my office computer. So, he's just going to have to wait. I suspect that he's not done the reading. Sigh.

Okay, that's my rant for today.

Afterwards, I went to a community dinner at the Longhouse and then played volleyball. We lost the match - 21-15 and 21-16. We beat ourselves. We only had five players. Bummer deal. We're now 1 and 3 for the season.

2 comments:

Carver said...

Hi Dee,

Great news about your tumor marker. Also good that your doctor understand your not taking the drug and is receptive to changes. Sometimes you have to decide what is right for you. Sounds good all round. Thanks for your supportive post on my blog. Take care, carver

Dee said...

Hi Carver,
I hoped the comment was okay . . . supportive not scary.

I'm even more encouraged about my surgery - my ob/gyn was interested in the article and promised that she'd say positive healing things while I'm under.