Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No News Yet And Some Good Work News

Still waiting to hear from Dr. H or Dr. K about the next step - so I still don't know if I'll have an x-ray or a scan. That's okay - I'm not any particular hurry.

In the meantime, I attended an interesting talk on cognitive anthropology and then went to dinner with the guest speaker, Eugene Hunn, who has worked a lot on ethnoecological kinds of issues. He published a comparative study on placename densities back in 1994 (or was it 1995?). I kinda told him about this article I'm working on and he said he's interested in reading about it. Even gave me some suggestions about where to submit it for publication. I'll meet him and my colleague, Bryan, for breakfast tomorrow and I hope to ask him a few more questions - I may even show him the placename lists we've toiled with this past week and get some of his input.

Hmm, guess I better go double-check those numbers, huh? : )

Also heard that an article that I cowrote with an anthro grad student at UAF has been accepted for publication at Human Organization (the main journal for the Society for Applied Anthropology) pending some revisions. The revisions don't seem very onerous and in fact, the reviews seemed rather positive and had some good suggestions. Woo hoo!

This is when I realize just how much time the placenames project took - there was a lot of administration and organization with that. I seem to have more time for writing now. But I must say, all the time was worth it. We've been working on this project for five years now and I'm still not tired of the general topic (I was, however, tired of doing all the administrative stuff). It's like my dissertation - I worked on the research and writing of it for about three years - and I'm not tired of that either.

I love my job.

1 comment:

Carver said...

Dee that's great news about the article. Whatever you get, scan or x-ray, I'll keep everything crossed for you.