Thursday, May 22, 2008

Skin Wound Update

I am heading to Wound Care next Tuesday. While the original skin wound is healing, more or less, it still isn't completely healed. It looks better than it did. However, the rest of the area over the tissue expander was a dark color, so sometime in the last week or so, I started putting turmeric paste over that. That skin seems to be healing, too, but it is weeping a lot more. I think Dr. Kenyon today said that it was "skin necrosis". Also, he said that the lymphedema under the right tissue expander was probably swollen because the cancer cells are causing the lymph fluid to back up. He decided to go to the wound clinic in order to maybe do some preventative stuff prior to starting radiation on June 2. He's afraid that the radiation will cause more of an open skin wound.

All I know is that I'm sick and tired of having it.

Things could be worse. Overall, I am doing okay, if a bit tired and dehydrated from Xeloda. Now, I really need to get some work done. Writing up a summary for NSF and also I need to draft up an application to get bought out of a class next year. Aargh!

Tomorrow will be fun, though. I am going to help Eddie's school with their annual Field Day - where they have track and field competitions. I will help with the softball throw.

4 comments:

Carver said...

I know it must seem endless dealing with cancer and side issues too. I'm glad you'll get a break by participating in Eddie's field day. I well remember those from my daughter's grade school year.

j said...

I have been trying to come up with the right thing to say and failing that, i've said nothing. I'm just rooting for you, pulling for you over here. And wondering if there is a bubble bath or a foot massage or SOMETHING on your horizon. (Softball throw? Goooooo you.)
xo nyc jeanne

Dee said...

Hi Carver,
Yeah, I know you know what it's like when things seem endless with cancer. I did have a nice break today at the softball throw. I was also able to cheer Eddie on in the 440 yard dash! But then reality hit and I had to work. Got my summaries done, but not the other application. Well, one can only do so much.

Hi Jeanne (NYC, that is),
Well, you don't really have to say anything you know, other than the "rooting for you" part. And, yes, it might just be time for a massage next week. Or something. I think just hanging out watching a movie or something would be just the ticket! I'm so glad you're doing well!

j said...

How was field day? And how're you feeling?! (I've been meaning to tell you, you have a GREAT smile.)