Thursday, April 17, 2008

Relay for Life - two events in my honor

A couple of weeks ago, a good friend of mine in Fairbanks informed me that she was part of a team called CARDDs (Cancer Avenging Relay Dudes and Divas) that will do the Relay for Life in Fairbanks on May 30th. Karen Brewster is doing the relay in honor of her mom, Renate Brewster, who died of a brain metastases in 2004, and also for her friend, Ann, a one-year breast cancer survivor, and me. She's asked me for permission to use photos and jokes from my blog for a little poster they plan to put up during the relay. Karen and I have known each other since 1995 (holy cow!! I can't believe it's been that long), when she and I were both taking graduate classes at UAF. She is now a published author - she wrote a book entitled "The Whales: They Give Themselves", which is the life history of a whaling captain (Harry Brower, Sr.) in Barrow who became a very good friend of hers. Here is a description of the book:
http://www.uaf.edu/uapress/book/displaysingle.html?id=54. She now works for the Oral History Program at UAF.

The link to her relay team is below:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeGreatWestDivision?px=5614159&pg=personal&fr_id=5622&s_tafId=100056

In addition, my counselor (Pat) told me that she donated money to her niece, who is also doing Relay for Life in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She donated in memory of her father, who died of lung cancer, and in honor of me.

I feel very honored that these two women feel compelled to contribute to cancer research and cures in my name. Karen and Pat, thank you so much for thinking of me! I am really touched by this.

No comments: