Monday, May 30, 2011

Thank goodness my family lives with me

About a year and a half ago, my folks and my brother moved in with me - for financial reasons.

We have worked out a system - I pay the bills (except groceries) and they take care of the house. They do the grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, yard work. I mean, I make sure that my areas and Eddie's areas are clean but since they are here all the time, the housework kinda fell into their hands.

It's been nice not to have to worry about grocery shopping and all that. I had plenty of other things to do with work, my own appointments and Eddie's activities. I feel very fortunate.

But this morning, I realized just how unable I am to take care of myself. I mean, I am able to wash up and wander around the house and get my own food or drink.

But I am completely unable to shop or drive or run errands, pick up or take Eddie to school. At the moment, I am homebound.

It occurred to me that other people would not have this kind of live-in help that I do. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to have to ask for help all the time. There is something about how easier it is to ask family for help. AT least, in my case. People that I know and can talk are giving me assistance.

Last night, for instance, I decided to get a prescription sleep pill. I was able to ask dad to run to the pharmacy and I had the prescription in less than an hour. Dad is also driving me to my appointments. Scotty took Eddie to Wacky Bounce yesterday.

Thank goodness for family! Thank you, mom, dad, and Scotty. It helps tremendously!

It also occurred to me that my recoveries from these surgeries are gonna take awhile. I am now about 10 days post-surgery and can't fend for myself. I have another surgery on Wednesday and I think that I can expect at least a couple more weeks of not fending for myself afterwards. I feel a bit weak standing and walking still. This morning, I woke up and my middle finger was more numb, so I took a steroid pill. Didn't take any yesterday, but I'll take one today and see how things go. I hope after this next surgery, I won't have the numbness and unsteadiness to deal with. And, I hope I can sleep when I come home. I think my recovery will go faster if I can.

And, so it goes. I am trying to be productive - but it's things like balancing the checkbook, paying bills, etc.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hi Dee.
It really does take its toll on people that have this disease and you are very fortunate to have your family right there for you. Without all the worries it is giving your body a better chance to heal as stress is not good. I hope the Ambien works for you.We all need a little help along the way sometimes.
It sounds like you will have a great summer...so get some rest and enjoy it.
I will be thinking of you on Wednesday!
Hugs.