Monday, August 30, 2010

My New "Date"

I may have mentioned a few months ago that I am attempting to date again. I have gone on only two dates (not surprising given that I am up front with my cancer status). And I have been fairly busy, so I am not trying really hard. But this weekend, I was introduced to my new "date".

His name is Exu Date!

Exudate? Who the heck is that?

Actually, the more appropriate question is: What the heck is that?

For those of you who don't know, it is a clear fluid that seeps or oozes from wounds.

In my case, I don't see an open wound per se, but the skin (where it is purplish-gray) in my left armpit has started to weep from the dying skin.

As I mentioned, the purplish-gray area is tissue necrosis, which means that the tissue is dying, which is a good thing since it means the cancer in the skin is dying.

However, I have no idea how long the tissue necrosis will last, or when things will start healing, or how radiation will affect it and if radiation will slow healing.

In other words, I have no idea yet how long I will live with this new Exu Date.

So I am back to changing dressings daily, this time in my left armpit.

Lovely.

I guess I will think of it as the long slow weeping death of cancer. Yeah, that's it. The cancer is finding out that it doesn't belong in my body any more, so it's slinking away. Or my body is kicking it out. You see, Exu Date isn't a very nice guy. So out it goes!

Man, ya gotta have some humor with this disease!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

You are funny. I hope you break up with this date really soon.

Dee said...

Hi Joanna, I hope this date catches a hint and disappears, too!