Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Some thoughts while on a business trip

Hi everyone,
So, as you know from my previous post, I am now in Fairbanks trying to work on a couple of projects. There's the King Island placenames project and also this new project that I'm working on related to Alaska Native corporations created under ANCSA. When I first got the diagnosis, I was thankful that I did have a few things that I needed to work on in order to keep busy, but I've found in the last week that I don't feel like working at all. And if truth be told, by the time we left on Friday, I just really wanted to stay at home and read books and watch movies. Now I feel guilty because I am up here and I gathered a few folks here to do some work on the placenames project, but I find myself trying to avoid the work. Ah, sigh! I guess I'm just wondering what other people might do in a similar situation: while waiting for surgery for cancer, would you want to keep busy with work? Or would you just want to hang out and visit with friends and family? I guess it's different for different people. Maybe what I need a kick in the pants in order to get motivated for work! The good news, I guess, is that I only have a few things yet to do and then I can just relax.

At any rate, no news yet on a surgery date . . . will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is different for different people. I think I'd want a project. But, on the other hand - come on... its AFN your at! Its always great for me to meet up with people I haven't seen in such a long time and to be at a large "communal" event with people of similar decent and from Alaska!!

Dee said...

Well, yes, I have been having meeting people. I know several folks at the university and have had a chance to visit with them. And, I've run into people at restaurants and at Freddies. That has been fun and it's more what I want to do and not actually work. That's the dilemma - can I skip work and just visit and meet up with people? That's really what I want to do.

I just got off the phone with my cousin, Cindy Allred. Her mom was my mom's sister Martha, who died when I was 13 or 14. We're going to have lunch with Cindy today . . . it'll be good to see her. And, I've seen my cousins Clara, Grace, Helen and Jr. So, I have been having fun . . . I just want to avoid work.